Woman Driver Feels Sheer Terror Before Seeing a Very Tall, Shaggy, Brown/Black, Fur Covered Shape.

This next Witness Report is written by the witness herself, in her own words. Deborah Singleton is happy to be named. Deborah is a BBR member and is happy to chat her experiences she has had through life. Like me Deborah has searched for other witnesses to the Strange and Paranormal. 

My Hubby and I were visiting friends who live about 50 miles away from us at the other side of York. I was the designated driver that night, so I was on soft drinks all evening. It was around 1:30am when we set off home - Hubby was rather inebriated, so he fell asleep 5 minutes into the journey! I was driving along the A64 home, the fog was rolling in off the fields, in large thick patches, which would suddenly clear and then return.


I was wide awake and I didn't feel in the least bit tired. The rest of the journey was relatively trouble free, although I did have a rather nagging feeling of unease, which I just couldn't explain. I wondered if it was because the roads were lonely, I had no-one to chat to, as my husband was still fast asleep and I just had the radio on for company. The unease continued, with no real explanation, until we were around 7 miles from home; the time was approaching 2-30am. Thankfully the uneasy feeling started lifted a bit as I knew we were nearly home. It was replaced with a feeling of almost relief. Until I got to Horsforth roundabout. This was around 02.45 am. As I started the approach down the hill in the direction of Rodley, I began to feel overwhelmingly terrified.




The nearer I got to the dip in the valley, the more the panic was rising. There was no explanation for this at all. I tried to wake my husband, with no success. I tried to get a grip of myself, to no avail. There were no cars around at all, in fact, when I thought back, I hadn't seen another car on the road in either direction, for at least three quarters of an hour. With the sheer terror beginning to escalate, I was almost at the bridge when I "saw" it. (I say "saw" because I didn't dare look at 'it' directly; I had the overwhelming feeling that if I looked at it, I would die). Standing at the side of the road and looking directly at me, was a very tall, shaggy, brown or black, fur covered shape. At my estimation, 'it' must have stood over 2m tall, and 'it' was around 1.2m wide, with no visible limbs or eyes that I could see, but I sensed that the eyes were there somewhere, as I could feel them boring into the car.


Needless to say, I had to get away from this "thing", so I accelerated away from 'it'. As I passed where 'it' was standing, I stared straight ahead, not daring to turn my head and look left. I looked back in the rear view mirror, to see "it" step off the kerb and into the road where I had just driven. By the time I reached our house, I was panic stricken, I needed to get inside and lock the door. My husband couldn't understand what was wrong with me. I explained what had happened, but he said that it was probably a tree and my mind was playing tricks on me! I knew what I had seen and it was no tree. How could a tree make me so scared and 'it' stepped out into the road? Trees can not do that, they can not step out. The next morning, in the cold light of day and with a sense of apprehensive curiosity, I decided to drive back to the spot and see if there had been a tree there, just to make sure. But as I suspected, there was nothing there that I could have misinterpreted. The story doesn't quite end there.




I decided to research and write the book a few months later, the book was about people’s paranormal experiences in my area of the country. I'd placed an advert and I had a feature in our local paper; including my horror story and asking for people to write in to me with theirs. I had a lot of responses, many people answered and shared mainly UFO sightings with me. But then one day, I opened a letter that made my blood run cold. A young man wrote to me, to say that he worked at a supermarket a couple of miles away, he was on the twilight shift, between 8pm and 2am. He frequently walked home from work, and on that night he was on the last third of his journey as he passed the end of my street and down into the village.

Around 400 metres from my house, is our village church, which is opposite a row of shops. As he had approached the church, he saw two figures crouching in the middle of the road. He slowed down to almost a stop. There were no cars around at all. At first, the figures didn't appear to notice the young man. He said 'they' made no sound. Then 'they' looked up at him, and stood up and walked away towards the shops and around the back of them. He followed behind them and as he rounded the corner a few seconds later they had gone. The figures he described were exactly the same as the one I had seen that night on the drive home! I have no idea what I saw or what the young man saw, but the terror that event caused me, will stay with me forever. I chatted with Deb about that evening about her experience and what its like to look for others who experience the strange things you do, and how it had affected her life, she went on to add.

Looking back I'm so glad I was in the car now! I don't know if I would have coped with the event if I'd encountered 'it' on foot. The area I saw 'it' in has apparently had some similar reports from people who have heard weird noises, someone else reported seeing a furry thing (someone suggested that it was the ghost of a monk dressed in animal furs, as Kirkstall Abbey which is just down the road). Apparently, I think it was on Dogmen Encounters that Vic read out a report from a woman in Rawdon, which is very near to the location of my encounter and she said she had to swerve the car to avoid hitting a Dogman.





The other thing that creeps me out a bit, is that hidden down a lane in Rawdon, is a temple, belonging to the Order of the Golden Dawn, Aleister Crowley's invention. It is said he used to conjure demons and entities in the building there. This ties in for me with The Bempton RAF base and the strange tales of a satanic cult there, and all manner of strange things happen down on the Base and the Cliffs. It makes you wonder if there's something in that? People say it can't be a flesh and blood creature, or it's interdimensional. That thing I saw was definitely solid. I 100% believe these things exist, I just don't know how!




As a side note, I have always been scared of what would be termed werewolves, ever since I can remember. This must be some sort of genetic memory, as I wasn't exposed to horror films as a child, because my family wasn't into them. Bramham is about 10 to 15 miles from me and I'm sure there was another report from out that way. The report Deborah is referring to is the report made by a gentleman out walking his dog one evening, when a huge hairy humanoid figure stepped out of the trees and into the path in front of him.
Deborah went on to explain that another brief "sighting" of something strange was one I had a few months back. My Hubby and I were out on the motorbike. We were somewhere around the Selby area and as I looked through a break in the hedge we were passing, I saw an Orangutan coloured animal, 'it' was crouched down, scooping up water out of what looked like a small fishing pond surrounded by reeds. It was as big as a bull, but other than it appearing to use its hands to scoop water, I couldn't see any other details. The traffic was too busy to be able to turn round unfortunately! It definitely wasn't a farm animal, as it looked like the edge of an arable field and there were no other animals. It's hair was too orange and too long to be anything we would recognise in the countryside.

Comments