A 7ft Dark Figure. Another Sighting of the Wildman of Stanley Co' Durham? 20006

Map Ref/DlLly FB

Hi Deborah I contacted you when I saw in the  (British Bigfoot Facebook Group  a post by a lady in an area close to where I had a strange experience in 2006. This also happened in Stanley NE short walk away from where the lady saw her apeman creature up in a tree whilst playing as a child.  And I wonder if it was the same thing I saw many years later. I think K described it as "an apeman/monkeyman" I was hoping to chat with you as there is another location along that same road where I used to ride my bicycle along between my girlfriends house and where I used to live back then.  



It was on this certain part of the road that I always felt like I was being watched by something,  a feeling I had a few times along that road it always felt like something I couldn't see was watching me from the shadows.  I knew something was there but I could never see anything or make it out in the shadows. As it would often be late at night when I would be returning home it was usually dark and on one occasion I saw something big standing behind a large tree near the graveyard next to the church.  I believe whatever "it" was "it" had followed me as I rode along the whole of that road until I got to the main road and the feeling was gone?  I didn't have the feeling I was being watched as long as I was on the main part of the road to my house. But when you left the main road the feeling would return?

The night in question I was on the way too my girlfriends house so the time would of been around 8 pm. We both lived in Co Durham but in different Towns so I rode this route a lot. I used to cycle to my girlfriends house and she lived in the Stanley area. I would bike it from my house to hers and then back later in the evening. The area itself is on the Coast to Coast path in between Consett and Stanley. Its mostly fields with woods along the main road and it runs along side farmland with a few dense patches of woodland here and there. At the Consett side of that route the is a church with a graveyard and a dense row of trees at the other side of the path behind the church.

As soon as I got onto that path that night I got the feeling that I was being watched again, so I looked around everywhere but again I couldn't see anything, so I just continued on with my journey. When I was on my way home it only took me about 10 to 15 minutes to get to the church and I heard a noise behind the trees where earlier I had felt something was watching me, it was coming from exactly that area.  So I slowed down to get a good look, I waited while my eyes adjusted and I saw the shape of a a Large Dark Figure which was standing behind a tree, it was really tall roughly about 7 to 71/2 feet in heights.  I couldn't make out any facial features or fine detail as it was so dark and the only light I had to see by was on the front of my bike.  I didn't want to stick around and had no thoughts of approaching it to see it what it was or to get a closer look so I quickly left. Now it would usually take about 10 minutes for me to get to the end of that path and that night I did it in about 4 minutes flat!

This area has a lot of open land and trees, and close to the end of one section there is a series about 6 short hairpin type turns,  there is a small narrow track for bikes to use and its sided with 10 foot high embankments on either side of the bike trail. These turns go around and they are big and go deep enough back that something or someone could hide in just around the next corner or up on the banks and not be seen until it was to late. 




I passed on the information sent in by the gentleman to K who is another witness to a Wildman type figure that she saw when playing as a child.  K is also a witness to what she described as a wildman type figure up in a tree above her whilst she was playing with a rope swing in this very same area closer to Stanley.  Witness Account: Karen

I'm hoping you can help me as I had a strange experience as a child that I'd like to share. Im hoping to shed some light on what happened to me that day and some help in working out what "he" was. I was somewhere between 5- 7 years old and I was in the local woods in Stanley co. Durham I was with some older children just playing out as children do. There was a group of us playing in the woods and climbing trees and making all kinds of noise. The girls I was with were about 13 years old and nice sensible girls so my parents allowed me to tag along with them whenever I got the chance. Where I lived back then was an ordinary house in an ordinary town in the North East of England. there were lots of fields and woods to explore, but it wasn't remote or dense in any sense of the world. It was an average town really with surrounding countryside and green belt land, lots of small woods and streams scattered about.

From what I can remember we were in playing in a clearing and I think there may have been a rope swing attached to the tree, we were all playing and for some reason I looked up into a tree, and high in the branches I could see a really strange 'Man' he was crouched down and he was holding a knife in one of his hands. He wasn't like a normal man who was just out of place, not a tramp or a boy playing tricks, of course all this I reasoned afterwards. The “Man” I was looking up at I called an Ape Man or a Monkey Man as there are no other words to describe him. He reminded me of a caveman or Wildman who had lived out in the wilds his whole life. I have included a picture I found online that resembles what I saw that day. 

I can't remember a lot of detail about his appearance after 30 yrs or so. He had long bushy dark hair and wore no clothes at all. In panic I pointed him out to the girls that were with me and they looked up but they said no one was there? I ran from the woods crying in fear with the girls chasing after me trying to catch up to me and calm me down. They always insisted no one was there, which you think would explain the whole thing away but the fact only I could see him in a way was worse, I was hoping they would say it was just someone dressed up or playing a prank to explain why he was there but they never did. That really worried me over the years and on occasion you question yourself harder than any sceptic. Constantly trying to explain all this away, hoping all of a sudden some tiny thought would give way to “ahh now I understand” but that never came. And even to this day my Husband and Family buy me monkey gifts or toys, I have never hidden this from anyone, this experience is part of me, part of my story, and one of the reasons I'm myself, it is my story, of a terrifying sighting of a hairy man, who looked like monkey with a knife gripped tightly in his hand.

I could see him just as clearly as he could see me. He wasn't like a Bigfoot or what Id imagine they would look like, but he wasn't like a normal human man either. I know for sure I definitely saw him that day and it frightened me to think the girls I was with couldn't see him and that there is no explanation of who or what he was.

Little did we know another reader in the same Facebook group saw Karen's post and got in touch with us as he too had an encounter in the very same town, many years later. He went on to describe a certain part of the coast to coast road always gave him the feeling he was being watched. And even though he had cycled this way on many an occasion, one night stands out to him above all others.


Until Next Time, Deborah.





#BBR is a non profit Organisation, run by volunteers.

Please click LIKE or SUBSCRIBE to show support. Feel free to SHARE.

Copyright ©2005-2021 All Rights Reserved

Comments