The Green Man Face In The Grass. Bawtry, Summer 1972

Witness Report: Jo.

This is what happened to me one summer's afternoon when I was playing out as a child in Bawtry Doncaster, I saw something so strange that the experience remains with me to this day. The face in the foliage that I (and a school friend) saw happened around the time I was 15 in I would say approximately 1972. My Friend and I were playing truant from school, and we knew we wouldn't be caught if we went to a certain area not really ideal but it was out of the way and no adults would see us, we were there messing about in an old abandoned sewage works, known locally as “dead-dogs island” we noticed a face watching us from within the brambles, “he/she” was lying flat on their belly, keeping hidden well in the bushes and grass so I couldn't see a body and I have no idea of the size or height but what we could see was the face, whatever this “thing” was it was hairy and looked like the Green Man pictures and artworks that you see in the UK.


It seemed to me at the time it was as if he had foliage on his face or was using foliage and greenery to mask his face and hide in plain sight, his skin was dark. He had small dark eyes and he was just looking at us observing what we were doing. My friend was really scared and frightened but I was more interested, it looked like the foliage was being used to disguise his face somehow or it was a mask made from the grass and leaves? 





He didn't try to move or approach us and we ran off and he didn't try to follow us either he just stayed in position as far as I know he just stayed in the brambles. I can still remember the incident as clear as day. I wasn't scared and I really wanted to know more but my friend running left me there alone with “him” so I quickly followed her out of the there.

In the same area within a year of my first encounter myself and my Brother were walking home and we realised we were being followed by something we couldn't see in the trees and bushes off to the left of us. It was a dark night and we caught a glimpse of something that had orangish eyes and whatever this thing was it growled at us from the bushes in almost the same area.





The Bawtry Area of Doncaster is surrounded by old caves on all sides, ancient trackways and ancient well, there are many megaliths of interest also.

Until Next Time, Deborah.


Help us to investigate these cases, in the field or online. All abilities welcome, no experience is needed. 

 #BBR is a non profit Organisation, run by volunteers.  If you would like to join our community please leave a comment or contact us using debbiehatswell@gmail.com.

Please click LIKE or SUBSCRIBE to show support. Feel free to SHARE 


Copyright ©2005-2021 All Rights Reserved.


Comments