Kielder Forest - Continuing Accounts

Early November 2017: I was contacted today by a gentleman from the outdoors community whom I have known for many years. I have a great respect for him and I have come to trust and value his opinion in regards to structures found or witness reports. We chat back and forth on occasion by email, and today he passed on the details of another outdoors man (S.B.) who has been having some strange experiences in Kielder Forest. I will add his YouTube channel so you can view the areas in question.




S.B.: A few months back, I decided I would do a stealthy motorbike wild camp up near Kielder Forest, nothing fancy, just a tarp and a bivvy for cover. I settled in for the night and at about midnight I heard something moving around. I wasn't mistaken - something large was crashing around me in the undergrowth. Every time I shone a light in the direction of the crashing sounds, they stopped...  I'll be honest, I was scared and I have included the video so you can see what I mean. It didn't put me off camping but I'll be more wary when I'm out from now on.




https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcsVLhlTD1U

Late November 2012: I decided I would do another night camp the other week in the same area, up near Kielder Water, just not as wild as last time (but wild enough). I was in the same spot I used last time when I heard the crashing. As the evening went on, thankfully nothing happened and I settled down expecting to sleep until morning. Then at around 3am, I was woken by my tarp being dragged off the roof. Something or someone had pulled my tarp right of the roof! It was a still night, there was no wind to speak of, and no reason for the tarp to come off. I had tied it the way I always do and it had never happened before even in bad weather. It scared the crap out of me. I didn't want to move, but I needed to make a call of nature and I was going to have to go out there. Standing there in the misty gloom with my head torch on, I caught a pair of eyes about 50 ft away. I thought it was just a fox or cat, but then the eyes started to come closer to me, which is unusual behaviour for a fox or a cat. I jumped back in my bivvy to try to get some sleep - it wasn't easy but I managed to in the end. I have been in the Peaks loads of times, but I have never been as scared as I was that night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZG3xygHSy4

D. Hatswell 28/12/2012    


Comments