Sutton GravelPits Large Black Cat 1999

Neil. B: Thanks for this opportunity to share my account of seeing a large black cat some years ago. I live in Didcot south oxfordshire, and my sighting was a couple of miles away from home.


In July 1999 and I had just finished work for the day and as i often do, i decided to go fishing in Sutton courtney gravel pits just outside Didcot, in the evening. On this day, around 7 pm I was driving through the pit area to the lake, thinking about getting set up and just enjoying the un wind, when i realised that where i was looking, about half way down where a fence met the track a large black feline stepped out of tall grass onto the track! It was clearly a cat and not a domestic cat, this was much bigger in build and length, it clearly stood out as unusual to me.

I slammed on the brakes of the car and was sitting there watching it. The creature at this point was on the passenger side and about six feet from the car, so i got a really good look at it and it walked by. I opened the door and got out and for obvious reasons I stayed on the drivers side of the vehicle. I stepped on to the sill of the door to get a better look, as I did, I saw the creature walk around the end of the fence and back into the long  grass! I can only describe it as black about four to five feet long, shortish legs, a long tail curled upwards, the closest resemblance I can think of is a jaguar or puma! I had been to this area many times and have never seen the like before or since.

Comments